Closeout In store and Web

I’m looking at switching over to Square, and was wondering the best process for reconciling. We have a custom instore POS that we will use a couple terminals and then an ecommerce site that will use the ecommerce iframe. What is the best way to reconcile? Can we manually process a End of Day for the terminals and current ecommerce and then let any other ecommerce flow into the next day? Or does everything have to automatically close? IF the latter, what’s the best way to retrieve the current open batch totals to be able to at lease reconcile the instore transactions when we close for in person?

Hi @ahergy80 , thanks for joining the forums and considering Square.

We have a custom instore POS that we will use a couple terminals

If you are looking for an in-person payment solution, I would suggest checking the Terminal API (technical), Reader SDK, or POS API.

For Terminal API you would need to use a Square Terminal. For Reader SDK or POS API you would need a Square Reader. You cannot take a card payment without using a Square piece of hardware.

an ecommerce site

For online payments, you can checkout Web Payments SDK or Checkout API (technical).

What is the best way to reconcile? Can we manually process a End of Day for the terminals and current ecommerce and then let any other ecommerce flow into the next day? Or does everything have to automatically close? IF the latter, what’s the best way to retrieve the current open batch totals to be able to at lease reconcile the instore transactions when we close for in person?

If I understand the question correctly, you would like to authorize a payment, but complete the charge about a day later. For that, we have a Delay Capture feature. In a CreatePayment request, you can set autocomplete to false to get payment approval, but not charge the payment source. Then, you will have the option later to CompletePayment, or CancelPayment.
To note the Time threshold:

• 36 hours for in-person (card present) payments, where the card was swiped, dipped, or tapped using a card reader.
  • 7 days for online (card not present) payments, where the buyer used a card on file or typed the card number.

I’m looking to have 2 terminal units connected to our POS for in store transactions and then your drop in ecommerce solution. But the issue we face with a competitor is that they made it so the batches are all messed up and don’t match our deposits. But we noticed the issue when we went from a payment gateway to an included drop in ecommerce solution like you offer. When our store closes we do an ‘end of day’ to reconcile our cash and all the charges up to that point. This ensures that there was no mistakes (double orders, over/undercharges, theft, etc). But the website will continue to generate sales until the auto-close out. So our end of day on our store POS isn’t matches batches that close later after midnight which has caused a book keeping problem since our credits aren’t matched our sales since after hour web orders come in and throw the deposits off. We’ve wanted to manually close out our credit transaction when we close the store and move everything that comes in after that to the next day, but our current provider can’t make it work properly after numerous attempts, and looking at square docs, it doesn’t seem to be an option. So we are wondering what is the recommended method for our situation? It seems like an overlooked issue by merchant processors that directly effects many of their customers.

Thanks for the context. Try checking out this article about our scheduled payouts. I believe Square works as you’d prefer, where any payments after a set end of business day time are moved to the next day’s payout. Next-Business-Day Transfer Schedule | Square Support Center - US. This will be true for both Online and in-person payments.

If you have any follow up questions about payouts in particular, feel free to reach out to our general support team.